So, this week I was nominated for the Liebster Blog award by Leslee at “Her Happy Balance”, a great blog that I have been following for some time now. If you haven’t checked out her page, I suggest you head on over to find out some great tips on exercise, food and even a free giveaway or two.
The Liebster award is geared towards new bloggers, with the hopes of spreading a little bit of fun and random factoids about the author.
Here’s are the rules:
1. This award is given to new or up and coming bloggers who have less than 200 followers.
2. The award is then passed along to other bloggers in the same category to help spread the word and support one another.
3. Each blogger should post 11 random facts about themselves.
4. Answer the questions the tagger has set for you, then create 11 new questions for the bloggers you pass the award to.
5. Choose 11 new bloggers (with less than 200 followers) to pass the award to and link them in your post.
6. Go back to their page and tell them about the award.
7. No tag backs.
Leslee’s 11 Questions for me:
1.) If you could be any fictional character, who would you be?
A favorite classic of mine is “Little Women” by Louisa May Alcott. Perhaps, this is because I have two sisters very close in age who are my very best friends. We grew up playing a lot of make believe games and in a way we each have very similar personalities to the sisters outlined in the story. The thing is, I am Meg all the way…oldest, responsible and a lover of stability and safe choices. However, a little known fact is that I’ve always admired Jo. She is headstrong, stubborn and very passionate about all things in her life, almost to a fault. I love these qualities about Jo, the fictional character, as well as the “Jo” in my very own family.
2.) What’s your “death-row” meal?
*Be advised, this meal is not paleo, nor healthy and would likely send me to the chair feeling like a stuffed piggy.
I have contemplated this question many, many times. I have some non-traditional comfort foods, like breakfast for dinner, which always reminds me of my childhood, or a Taco Bell crunch wrap supreme, which I ate all throughout college. However, if this is it…then I’m doing it up BIG. For starters: an extra dirty vodka martini, served with prociutto-wrapped figs stuffed with goat-cheese. Entree: Medium rare filet with fried onion rings, garlic smashed potatoes, and Brussels sprouts sauteed with bacon. And don’t forget a large slice of Mancini’s bread (a local bakery in Pittsburgh that serves the VERY best Italian bread) with butter and a large glass of red wine (I’ll let SB pick, he always picks good ones). For dessert, I would have a french press coffee served with a slice of fruit pie (whichever fruit is most in season and perfect for picking) with a dollop of freshly made whipped cream.
3.) What’s the one adjective that begins with the first letter of your name that you would describe yourself as? (I’d be Lucky Leslee)
Nerdy Nikki; I went to school for 21 consecutive years, and sometimes consider going back…enough said.
4.) If you had to go through life without one of your five senses, which would you choose to lose and what’s your reasoning?
Another hard one, I think I would have to choose my sense of sight. Cooking and listening to music are two of my most favorite hobbies, and I think that if I lost the ability to do those things than the rest of my life wouldn’t be as sweet or fulfilled.
5.) What’s your favorite form of cardio?
I tried hot power yoga for the first time this past weekend and was amazed at what a workout it was! Not only was I sweating the whole time, but I also actually enjoyed myself and felt an inner strength building…something that is usually missing from my other typical cardio workouts. Some day I hope to feel those runner endorphins that everyone always talks about.
6.) What’s the one holiday that you go all out for?
My birthday! I love, love, love my birthday. As a younger gal I used to try to organize multiple events making it a week long extravaganza. I have made many, many happy memories with friends and families over these past 30 (::shudder::) Oct. 4ths!
7.) Do you have a good luck charm? If so, what is it!?
My Dad and I share a love for mechanical pencils and pens, so I often do most of my work with a pencil or pen he has given me.
8.) City, country, or burbs?
I grew up in the burbs, moved to the big city and now back in the burbs. I think that as long as I have enough room for a garden, access to a Whole Foods and some good local restaurants that I will be happy. (I do hope to someday have my own chicken coop…does that move me into country territory?)
9.) What’s your worst habit?
I am somewhat messy and can fall into negative funks at times.
10.) What’s the first thing you do when you wake up in the morning and the last thing you do before going to bed?
The first thing I do is check my email in bed to help me wake up. The last thing is to make sure my alarm is set and the “Do not disturb” setting is activated since my sisters can be night owl texters…and I go to bed extremely early.
11.) If you could meet anyone, dead or alive, who would you choose?
My mother’s mother. She died one month before I was born and from some of the stories I have heard, I think that we might share a number of similarities (love of leopard print, etc). I think it’s always so cool to see shared traits in family members…reminds me of how powerful and beautiful the biological design of the human race is.
Now, for my nominees…
(I decided to give each a little blurb about why I love these blogs so much, I hope you will check them out. Also, I think I unintentionally cheated a bit, one or two may have more than 200 followers…se la vie)
1. Paleo in PDX, a Paleo blogger from Oregon who shares great stories, wonderful recipes and seems like an all around fun person.
2. Domestic Diva, M.D., this anesthesiologist’s blog is hands down the funniest blog I follow. If you are in need of a laugh accompanied by a delicious recipe, then check her site out, you will “lol” I swear
3. DINUTRITION, Deanna is a nutritionist who shares some really interesting recipes, and (importantly to me) always makes sure to include the vitamin breakdown of each dish.
4. Failed to Integrate is a hilarious blog about the trials and tribulations of a modern day 20-something girl finding her way in the world.
5. The Cook to Love Project, this is an amazing blog that focuses on serving up some healthy comfort food. Not only does Laura post great recipes but she also allows her followers to really get to know her through her writing.
6. One Charming Life, is one of the newer sites I’ve started following and I can’t help but keep looking through her archives. This blogger is very creative and has a ton of DIY projects for any event you can think of…very motivating to get started crafting!
7. If you like food and photography, then head to this next nominee’s site BunnyandPorkbelly. This blogger takes AMAZING photos of all the restaurants and food she has been served up recently…an added bonus for me is she is based in Boston for some of the time.
8. The Middle-Earth Foodie is my wild card nominee. When I stumbled upon this I was just amazed at the amount of creativity some people have. As a devoted LOTR follower, I find this site a refreshingly original blog to all the hundreds of other food blogs out there.
9. Healthy Girl in the City is a really fun blog that follows the adventures of a girl living in the big city and her dedication to healthy eating and living.
10. Jennovafoodblog gives a wealth of info regarding nutritional biology and general health topics. She is a fantastic writer and really puts a lot of time into her posts, making then fun and educational to read.
11. The Whole Food Truth is authored by a Australian nutritionist who posts good recipes and nutrition info. I like this blog because it’s cool to think about how far your blog community stretches across the globe!
1. What was the last book you read and was it any good?
2. If you could go anywhere in the world (all expenses paid for 1 week), where would it be?
3. List your favorite piece of workout gear (running tights, yoga pants, earbuds, etc…this is me trying to find out great new pieces to add to my wardrobe)?
4. Name one of your guilty pleasures (for example, mine would be watching each episode of “Gossip girl” and “The Vampire Diaries”)?
5. If you could have dinner with one person (living or dead) who would it be with and which restaurant would you choose?
6. What is your favorite season and why?
7. Name one thing that annoys you about public transportation?
8. If you were stranded on a dessert island, what 3 things would you bring? (Lets assume that you have a food supply and fresh drinking water available)
9. What’s your middle name and is there any significance to it?
10. You find an unused Starbucks gift card in the gutter, what do you buy?
11. It’s 3pm and you’re hankering for a snack, what do you reach for?
And just so this post is not TOTALLY about me, here is a great Infographic that highlights some of the differences between Wild and Farmed salmon. FYI- PCB stands for polychlorinated biphenyls and are an oily, synthetic chemical that is commonly used in electrical equipment and as an additive in paint, plastics, and other products. Increasing evidence links PCB exposure with a variety of cancers.
For more on PCBs, check out this resource : http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/update0404b.shtml