This week I’m posting to you from my parent’s house in Pittsburgh, PA. My schedule has been jam packed with so many things. I have already attended one of my best friend’s weddings, visited with family, running hills in prep for the upcoming half-marathon AND have been working on some new recipes, like this chocolate zucchini cake.
I found this recipe while scoping out some new paleo blogs (one of my favorite past times), called Feed the Manimals. This recipe utilizes a classic secret ingredient, zucchini, which is known to add major moistness when used in baking. PLUS, like my squash brownies, this is a great way to sneak a serving of veggies into your dessert.
Here are 5 important reasons why you should be eating more zucchini:
1) Zucchini is high in fiber, which aids in digestion, lowers blood sugar (which helps in dessert recipes) and can help lower cholesterol by increasing bile acid production in the liver.
2) Zucchini is high in Vitamins A and C, which are great anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatory agents, two properties known to play a role in cancer prevention.
3) Certain phytonutrients found in zucchini have been shown to reduce benign prostatic hypertrophy (enlarged prostate0, which can hamper urination and sexual function.
4) Zucchini is high in both potassium and magnesium, which can aid in lowering blood pressure and reduce the risk of stroke and heart attack.
5) One cup of zucchini contains 19% of a trace mineral called manganese, which performs multiple functions in the body. Including: 1) participates in sex hormone production, 2) catalyzes the break down of protein and carbs, 3) increases the level of superoxide dismutase, which prevents mitochondrial oxidative stress and 4) is essential for proline production, an essential component of collagen and therefore, a proponent of health skin.
Thanks to Feed the Manimals for great inspiration!
- 2 medium zucchini, shredded (~ 2 cups)
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup almond butter
- 1/3 cup raw honey
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa or raw cacao powder
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Shred zucchini using either a food processor attachment or hand shredder and drain excess water using a strainer
- Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl
- To the dry ingredients, add the shredded zucchini, eggs, almond butter honey and vanilla extract
- Stir until well combined
- Pour into a greased loaf pan, I used 2-mini loaf pans
- Cook for 30-35 minutes or until inserted knife comes out clean
Source for zucchini health benefits