**WARNING: Mom, before you read any further, this post contains the words arousal, orgasm and genital area…just a heads up.
Today’s post is a little love potion that I concocted to help get you ready for the big day of romance this week. Each ingredient in this drink was chosen with care to help awaken the senses and stoke the flames of passion.
What’s the magic in this potion?
- Beets are not only responsible for the beautiful red color of this drink, but are also are a great source of vitamins A, B, C, potassium, calcium, iron and folic acid. The folic acid found in beet juice helps to regulate histamine production, a chemical that is released during orgasm.
- Celery contains androstenone, which is a pheromone precursor. Pheromones are those naturally occurring chemical signals that we exude through our scent glands to help us attract mates…yum! Basil also contributes to this drink’s aromatic nature.
- Did you know that pomegranate juice is one of the top 10 Viagra-like foods? Pomegranate juice is high in antioxidants, which rid the body of nasty free radicals, protect the lining of blood vessels and promote overall circulation and blood flow to the genital area.
- Similar to pomegranate, ginger and chili also help to dilate your blood vessels and promote blood flow, which is a necessary step in sexual arousal. In addition, ginger elevates your heart rate and chilies can induce endorphin release, which may help you to feel more amorous.
- Carrots and strawberry provide a rich source of Vitamin C, deficiencies of which have been linked to male impotence.
- Honey is a source of boron, which is a mineral that works to metabolize estrogen, the female sex hormone. Boron may also stimulate testosterone levels, which is largely responsible for driving both men and women’s sexual appetite.
- 1 small beet, chopped
- 2 celery stalks
- 3 or 4 carrots
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 inch ginger
- 1/4 cup basil
- 1 tsp honey
- pinch of chili powder
- strawberry for garnish
- Juice beet, celery, carrots, pomegranate seeds, ginger and basil
- Stir in honey and chili powder
- You may have a hard time incorporating the honey, if it ends up at the bottom of your glass (like it did in mine) you can scoop it up with a spoon and drizzle it on top of the ice (sort of how they drizzle the carmel sauce on top of a Starbuck’s carmel macchiato)
- Pour over ice and enjoy
Don’t have a juicer? You can try blending/food processor-ing your veggies with a bit of water and then use a cheese cloth to strain out the larger remaining chunks (god, this sounds like a lot of work…). OR, if beets just aren’t your thing, you could try making this drink using store-bought pomegranate juice. Try to look for a 100% organic version from a brand you trust as you will remember from this post that pomegranate juice was often found to be diluted with filler substances (sugar, grape juice, etc).
So, how does it taste? To be honest, this drink is a little “earthy” for me. The beet/celery/basil combination gives this drink a slightly medicinal taste. HOWEVER, I think this is the perfect description for when we think of how a love potion should taste. Quite like how I described Tumeric’s Elixer of Life, this drink conjures up a medieval-like feel. You wouldn’t want to drink it every day, but it small doses it does the trick…exactly how a love potion was meant to be.
If you try this, I would love to hear how you feel afterwards. Did it help to make you feel more “in the mood”?
**Use caution when juicing beets…too much can actually cause harm due to an accumulation of certain minerals (such as iron, copper, magnesium and phosphorus) in the liver. This recipe calls for one small beet, which should be fine, especially if you are sharing it with your partner in front a crackling fire (before you pop the champagne?). See this article for more on the dangers of ingesting too much beet juice on a regular basis.
Helpful literature and more foods that help your libido:
- Top 10 Aphrodisiac Foods
- Aphrodisiac Foods That Feed Your Sex Drive
- Top 30 Aphrodisiac Foods
- Ultimate Orgasm Libido Boosters
- Top 10 Viagra-like Foods